Of the few memories I treasure from my kiddy days are of lazy weekends. Primarily we would get to lunch at home and break free from the mundane sandwich....it had to be related to food isn't it? Though I was never a great complainer of food, I always loved what mum fed us, no matter how bland or boring it was at times.
I never needed any amount of cajoling to wake up on a Sunday, unlike all other school days. By 6 am I would be up, excited at the prospect catching up with some very important work. Such as, make some kites or give our pet mongrel a forced shower in the garden or follow battalions of ants at the backyard trying to locate the queen or climb up the mango tree to hunt for some new bird nests.
I would have the whole morning to myself undisturbed, especially with Mum and Dad struggling to finish of the weeks laundry. Bro and Sis would be busy catching up studies which never happened to be my priority.
By afternoon I would be really tired executing my important work, somewhere in the chaos I would find myself propped up on a high chair feet dangling in the air, water dripping from my head, speaking of a very hasty shower, changed into a pair of clean clothes looking eagerly at mum as she would bring food on the table.
On days when Mutton Curry was not on the menu we would have a grand 5 course Bengali meal, which would be incomplete without an entree of Narkel ( Coconut) Posto ( White Poppy Seeds) Bata ( Paste) & Steamed Rice. Quite simple to make, delicious to taste and very rich in Antioxidants.
White Poppy Seeds 2 tbsp
Coconut 1 nos small
2 medium sized Green Chilly
Mustard Oil 1 Tsp
Sea Salt to taste
Granulated Sugar to taste
Prep
Soak the poppy seeds at least 2 to 3 hours at room temperature water. Or if you have less time, soak it for 1 hour in warm water. Scrape the coconut and set aside 2 tbsp of coconut for this dish.
Cooking
Strain the poppy seed and grind it into a paste with grated coconut and green chilly into a smooth paste. You may add 1 tsp of water while grinding.To the paste add salt and sugar and drizzle it with Mustard Oil and that is Narkel Posto.
Mix a small portion of the paste with some steamed rice and eat, the brave ones... like me can dare to munch on a green chilly on the side to add to the punch.
Be sure you allow yourself an afternoon siesta, as poppy seeds tend to make you mildly drowsy, especially if you had more than 1 tbsp of this mix. I remember we would sleep so deep on those lazy Sunday afternoons, often we would find ourselves standing in front of the bathroom mirror with a brush in hand, our biological clock trying to figure out if it was morning or evening!
No comments:
Post a Comment